Ephesians 6:13-17—Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand what armor is used for; it covers and protects. With his armor on, a soldier would be protected from a bevy of onslaughts. I believe this is why Paul chose to use this analogy to convey the spiritual covering that we should put on each day. Let’s examine the armor of God and what each piece covers and protects:
- The Belt of Truth—This item covers a soldier’s vulnerable areas (belly, groin) from corruption and keeps him wrapped in truth; accountability
- The Breastplate of Righteousness—This item covers a soldier’s heart, which is made righteous by the blood of Jesus
- Feet shod with the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace—This items covers a soldier’s feet, which symbolize stability, mobility, momentum, movement, and motion
- Shield of Faith—This item protects a soldier against doubt, fear, and unbelief, especially when the enemy attacks; the number one defensive weapon
- Helmet of Salvation—This item protects a soldier’s mind from unproductive and idle thought; the mind must be renewed daily, as you read about a few days ago
- Sword of the Spirit—The only offensive weapon a soldier needs; the enemy cannot stand under the power of the Word
A little known fact is that armor in biblical times provided no rear coverage. This means: 1. Never turn your back on the enemy. 2. The Lord always protects your backside!
Even everyday screw-ups like you and I can be valiant soldiers when we’re covered by the Armor of God.
Prayer for Today:
Prayerfully list the Armor of God, piece by piece, symbolically putting each section on. Thank God that you may then quench all the fiery darts of the enemy.
Get your battle gear on. Suit up as a part of your everyday prayer life.